Who needs more stuff? Seniors this year are looking for meaningful gifts that include connection and promote well-being.
When asked, CiminoCare’s senior residents overwhelmingly said the greatest gift is the time they get to spend with family Seeing the generations come together fills their hearts with joy. Those moments are priceless.
However, we know sometimes you need something to put under the tree, offer the host or solve a need. We asked our senior caregivers and residents what was on their wish lists. Here are some of the most popular ideas:
- Amazon Echo Dot/Apple Homepod: Perfect for family communication and hands-free note taking, getting the news and weather and listening to music or a podcast. Think about getting the tech-savvy grandkids involved in setting it up. Seniors can also make phone calls or send text messages using only their voice!
- Life History Project: This can be digital (think photos, videos, songs) or recorded (interview family members, tell favorite stories, send messages of love and encouragement), and is a beautiful way to build a lasting legacy, evoke positive emotions and bring back joyful memories for seniors.
- Healthy Snacks, Delivered: We know that diet plays an essential role in our physical and cognitive health. Fresh fruits, nuts or veggies make good gifts, and there are many services out there that deliver customized snack boxes weekly or monthly.
- Exercise Tracker: We know that mobility is one of the top indicators of well-being. A fitness tracker, like a FitBit or Apple Watch, helps to measure movement, while gamification makes it fun. Gamification, or goal-setting, motivates us to get up from our chairs, take a walk or do some light exercise without it feeling like work, leading to better health. Again, here is an opportunity for the younger generation in your family to bond with their grandparent or elder as they set up their tracker. Many trackers offer sharing options so you can track your goals together.
- Art or Music Lessons: Does your mother, father or grandparent love doodling or painting? Did they play an instrument? Book a package of lessons with a teacher who will come to them for a soul-lifting experience that also provides some social time. Using our creative side can help bring joy and offers therapeutic value to all of us, so consider making it a group lesson!
- Brag Book: Create a photo or scrapbook of your elder with family and friends throughout the years. Positive memories from the past help with cognition, lift spirits, and promote well-being and connection. Have kids? Create a book filled with pictures from school activities and sports, friends, family vacations, pets, and even artwork or writing done by your younger generation. Your senior loved one will get a boost of serotonin and feel more connected to their family — truly the best gift one can give or get.
From all of us at CiminoCare, we wish you a Happy Holidays and a bright, healthy New Year!