Even California has seasons. As we head out of the long, hot days of the summer months into the cooler and shorter days of fall, we have gentle reminders that things are changing
Our friends on the East coast mark Fall by the changing colors of the leaves to vibrant yellows, oranges, and reds. In California, our transition out of summer is more gradual, marked by shorter days, cooler nights and hopes for rain.
There are many things to get excited about during the Fall and Winter months. Holidays – Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas – more comfortable temperatures and clear, breathable air, and more time spent with family. However, with so many activities happening, stress can creep up, and it is even more important to take care of your health and wellness.
Here are some things to consider to help you and your loved ones remain healthy and happy this Fall:
- Get a Flu Shot — CiminoCare communities are well on their way to coordinating flu vaccine clinics and making it easier for staff and residents to get the shot. People over 65 should ask their doctors about what flu shot to get, a high-dose vaccine or an adjuvanted flu vaccine.
- Talk to your Doctor about the COVID-19 Booster — We anticipate that the CDC will soon release more specific recommendations for older adults receiving the booster shots.
- Look at Your Outdoor and Indoor Lighting — Make sure you have enough light to see steps and other hazards, especially as you get used to changing light in the early evening to avoid falls.
- Think About How Your Exercise Routine will Change — Recognize how important it is to keep moving. Many studies have shown that exercise helps with balance, prevents disease and improves cognitive function. Keep up the healthy habits used during the warmer months with modifications for cooler weather.
- Prepare for Fall and Winter Holiday Celebrations — Think about how your diet might change. Watch your sugar intake. Consider how to decorate and celebrate the upcoming holidays safely. Social interaction with friends and family often changes during the holidays. Think about what you want to do and how much social time you want to schedule to avoid over-committing yourself to prevent too much stress and burnout.